Liberalwood Washington, D.C. Limey's Wurzburg, GE Tikrit, Iraq
dd MMM YYYY dd MMM YYYY dd MMM YYYY dd MMM YYYY dd MMM YYYY
00:00 00:00 00:00 00:00 00:00

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Tired of hearing it...

Ok, here is the deal. I am an Active Duty soldier in the United States military and currently deployed to the sandbox, attached to a National Guard unit. For the most part, I do not mind working with them. There are a lot of professional soldiers in the Guard. However, here is my bitch:

Whenever it suits them, they are "Active Duty". For instance, joking around, I'd say, "Whatever, you are National Guard. A weekend warrior." The retort you ask? I'm not National Guard...I'm Active Duty. Ok, yes and no. They are National Guardsmen and women activated to Active Duty for about 18 months, whereafter they head back to civilian life. Then, they proceed to show me their identification cards, indicating Active status. No problem with that. However, now, that we are in the process of returning home, select individuals are required to stay behind to clean up. Oh, wait...all of a sudden they aren't Active Duty anymore! Their response? I am National Guard. "Active Duty should stay behind because it's their jobs and they are used to being away from their families."

These last few weeks has really flipped my opinion of the National Guard for the worse. If that is their stance...then they need to head home and take care of the flood...that's their job. Not the 82nd Airborne Division's or 1st Cav's job...




Google
 
Web Wordzinga.blogspot.com
Minus the Nemesis WebRing
Join| List | Previous | Next | Random| Previous 5 | Next 5| Skip Previous| Skip Next